Re: subversion on cvs.gnome.org (Re: Putting MonoDevelop into gnome's cvs repo)

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 06:28 +0200, Tim Janik wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Todd Berman wrote:
>
> > MonoDevelop is currently hosted in a subversion server running on the
> > mono-cvs box, this situation has left us without an anonymous mirror,
> > which has made life pretty difficult.
>
> hm, what's your experience with subversion so far? (stability, scalability,
> usability, etc.)

I love using subversion, it just 'feels' right to me at least.

We however have had stability issues with it (however, using 0.36, not
1.0) That have required someone with root access to shell in and run
three relatively quick commands. But, it was still a pain. We were also
unable to setup a satisfactory anonymous mirroring setup, however we did
not try the SVN::Mirror perl module and its associated svm application.

> now that the 1.0 is out, what are your (and others) thoughts on hosting
> subversion modules on cvs.gnome.org besides CVS ones?

Personally I have no opinion on that, svn has been a pleasure to work
with, but has had some pain in the ass issues to deal with (pushing svn
export'd tarballs onto a server regularly is not exactly enjoyable, for
me, or our testing users. and it surely doesnt help get people involved
with development).

> > --Todd
> >

> ---
> ciaoTJ