Re: 2.4 Module List and Rationale (aka GEP10 and 11)

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 16:32, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:54:44AM +0000, mpeseng tin it wrote:
> > I think the advantages of Galeon/Epiphany at the moment are:
> >
> > 1 Native widgets (the native theme thing even if would work perfectly would
> > solve only part of the problem)
> > 2 HIG compliance
> > 3 Use of system prefs (proxy, toolbars...)
> > 4 Simpler interface (Phoenix could help here)
> > 5 Mime types/protocols integration
> >

> Another possible advantage is keeping our GUI shell more orthogonal to
> the layout engine; not having looked at the code, I could imagine
> porting epiphany/galeon to something other than gecko if we ever end
> up wanting to do that, without causing much end user disruption.
> While with mozilla you have the xul chrome tightly bound up with the
> gecko engine.

Sigh.

I haven't the time to get embroiled in this thread, but I think we
(meaning the free SW community) have our hands full enough without
further proliferation of web browsers.  Let's concentrate on good
interoperability and integration of what we have (including
accessibility), please ?   the Moz folks are working hard on improving
this, I hope we put effort into supporting them some as well, (i.e.
helping them get interop right, helping get the ATK stuff exported from
gecko for embedding) instead of expecting them to come to us.

-Bill

p.s. - my last word on the topic