Re: GNOME CVS: librsvg doml

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 08:28:41PM -0500, Gnome CVS User wrote:
> > CVSROOT:	/cvs/gnome
> > Module name:	librsvg
> > Changes by:	doml	03/03/18 20:28:40
> >
> > Modified files:
> > 	.              : rsvg-styles.c
> > 	gdk-pixbuf-loader: Makefile.am
> > 	gimp-plugin    : Makefile.am
> > 	gtk-engine     : Makefile.am
> >
> > Log message:
> > bunch of croco-related fixes
>
> I've been meaning to ask if I am the only Nervous Nellie here. By
> default, librsvg now links with libgsf and libcroco if they are present.
> However, that changes the resulting library from librsvg's LGPL to GPL
> for any derived code.
>
> This seems like a bit of a license trap to me; is it better turning the
> gsf and croco dependencies off by default?

I didn't know libcroco was GPL. Yeah, it sounds a bit dangerous to me. We
typically want core libs to be LGPL. This change means no core lib can
depend on librsvg and librsvg can't be a core lib.

Maybe there is a way to affect the libcroco maintainers to relicense to
LGPL? libgsf has already been relicensed.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a bookish drug-addicted rock star on his last day in the job. She's a
violent kleptomaniac barmaid trying to make a difference in a man's world.
They fight crime!