Re: GNOME CVS: librsvg doml

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 08:28:41PM -0500, Gnome CVS User wrote:
> > > CVSROOT:	/cvs/gnome
> > > Module name:	librsvg
> > > Changes by:	doml	03/03/18 20:28:40
> > >
> > > Modified files:
> > > 	.              : rsvg-styles.c
> > > 	gdk-pixbuf-loader: Makefile.am
> > > 	gimp-plugin    : Makefile.am
> > > 	gtk-engine     : Makefile.am
> > >
> > > Log message:
> > > bunch of croco-related fixes
> >
> > I've been meaning to ask if I am the only Nervous Nellie here. By
> > default, librsvg now links with libgsf and libcroco if they are present.
> > However, that changes the resulting library from librsvg's LGPL to GPL
> > for any derived code.
> >
> > This seems like a bit of a license trap to me; is it better turning the
> > gsf and croco dependencies off by default?
>
> I didn't know libcroco was GPL. Yeah, it sounds a bit dangerous to me. We
> typically want core libs to be LGPL. This change means no core lib can
> depend on librsvg and librsvg can't be a core lib.
>
> Maybe there is a way to affect the libcroco maintainers to relicense to
> LGPL? libgsf has already been relicensed.

Another issue might be the ABI stability of these libraries. Will they
freeze at the gnome 2.4 ABI freeze and keep binary compatibility for the
same timespan as gnome 2.4? (I.E. a very long time)

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a fast talking guerilla waffle chef gone bad. She's a transdimensional
Bolivian doctor in the wrong place at the wrong time. They fight crime!