Re: Aegis [Was: CVS migration to subversion?]

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 14:14, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Alan Cox">
>
> > > Given that this can of worms has been opened, allow me to recommend the
> > > use of Aegis, a 12 year old Free software configuration management
> > > system that really blows the existing Free Software "source control"
> > > systems right out of the water.
> >
> > If its twelve years old why is no major project using it.
>
> A round-about answer: "It's definitely a controversial choice for Free
> Software projects." :-)

Only because discipline was out of fashion for a long time, I think.
Just because it's not already trendy doesn't mean it's not good.  One
the face of it, it looks really super-fantas-terriffic; not sure what
the actual user experience and interface are like, I haven't read the
manual past the first few pages yet.  But I like the idea a lot; as
opposed to 'subversion', which looks like moderate PITA for an even
smaller gain, migration to Aegis looks like it would be a royal PITA
with a huge payoff.  The second possibility seems more attractive to me,
personally (big pain, huge gain).

> > Also does it have non unix clients ? Thats essential for translators or
> > people on the road sometimes

There's some stuff in the READMEs and docs that suggest that it does
work under cygwin, but only in single-user mode.  Maybe I misread, but I
got the impression non-Unix clients would be fine, but that an NT shared
repository would not work so well.

--
Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>