Re: CVS migration to subversion?

Bill Haneman wrote:

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 03:06, James Henstridge wrote:
... They made the decision that network bandwidth was more precious than diskspace, which is probably correct.

This is interesting since most of the magic forecasting graphs I've seen
in the past few years still show bandwidth growing faster than disk
capacity and CPU.
It is more a case of disks being big enough now. When CVS was being developped, storing two copies of the source locally in order to be able to perform local diffs didn't seem like an acceptable tradeoff.

However, these days I can buy a 120GB hard disk for a reasonable price, so I don't have much of a problem storing two copies of the source. However, I could always do with a faster network connection :) The second local copy of the sources gives you the ability to revert to pristine, perform a diff to last repository version and a few other operations locally (ie. disconnected mode). It also can reduce the size of transfers when doing checkins, which could be useful if the bandwidth of the repository is the limiting factor.

Of course, due to SVN's current limitations it isn't really worth considering a switch yet (but probably will be worth considering at some point in the future).

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/