Re: Desktop Kernel Stuff

> > We should remember that GNOME is not just for Linux. So, while it would be
> > nice to use nifty new Linux-specific stuff, we probably don't want to depend
> > on it. We have similar problems/issues with different X servers.
>
> if the list contains nice generic things (and not just suggestions on what
> kinds of behaviours of linux kernel need to be kludged around) then it will be
> similarily useful for other operating systems - i don't think gnome presently
> runs on systems where developers can't change them or where rfe-s couldn't
> be filed.

Right, but some people seemed to be making suggestions along the lines
of "if the kernel did such and such, then we could get rid of this ugly
code in gnome-foo". If we want GNOME (or at least the core parts of it)
to continue to support other OSes, then the code couldn't go away until
all those OSes supported the new feature. (ie, never :-})

-- Dan