Re: Desktop Kernel Stuff

You under-estimate the power of Linux in the marketplace now...

> Right, but some people seemed to be making suggestions along the lines
> of "if the kernel did such and such, then we could get rid of this ugly
> code in gnome-foo". If we want GNOME (or at least the core parts of it)
> to continue to support other OSes, then the code couldn't go away until
> all those OSes supported the new feature. (ie, never :-})

Commerical UNIX's now have to worry about being compatible with Linux,
rather than the other way around.  And most facilities we would want
are usefull for other things, in any case.

So I no longer believe that getting kernel changes for the desktop
is a futile exercise anymore, the way it was a few years ago.
                                - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Cambridge Research Laboratory