Re: Session Management Proposal

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 16:47, Ray Strode wrote:
> >I hope that any changes that will let users shutdown and/or reboot a
> >computer from within their session comes with the provision for the
> >system administrator to disable this so that there are no reboot and/or
> >restart and/or shutdown menu items visible to the user.
> >
> >I can not perceive of any reason why a _user_ should be able to reboot
> >or shutdown a computer. There are many occasions were this is definitely
> >not desired.
> >

> I can see what you are saying.   It would not be a good thing is some
> random user, logging in
> remotely, could shutdown a large multiuser system.  I think if a desktop
> manager is loaded,
> the desktop manager should be in charge of deciding whether the shut
> down request
> coming from the session manager is valid or not.  If there is no desktop
> manager, then
> that leaves the session manager with two options..
> 1) Use console helper if available or (iow, get a password)
> 2) don't offer reboot/halt at all.

Hi,

of course I wouldn't want a remote user shutting down a multiuser
system, but I was really thinking about a local user, ie. a user logged
into gdm and physically sitting in front of the machine.

Why should such a user not be able to shutdown the computer? Imagine a
setup of computer labs. Those machines should always be running. In our
setup for example a machine that has been shut down would stop
responding to mon inquiries and so look like a machine requiring
administrator attention causing a system administrator to be dispatched.
Since the physical button are not accessible to users, that machine
would in fact be out of usage until the administrator reboots it.

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences