Minutes for Gnome 2 release team 2002-09-18

Minutes for Gnome 2 release team meeting 2002-09-18

Present:                               Apologies:

Frederic Crozat                        Luis Villa
Jody Goldberg
Glynn Foster
Karl Gaffney
Telsa Gwynne
Mikael Hallendal
Jeff Waugh

Actions:

  DONE: Luis to collate responses from relevant maintainers on whether
  they want their apps to be part of GNOME 2.2 and post them for public
  discussion.
  => Much discussion arose :) The results of that will end up in the
  Gnome enhancement procedure (GEP) that Jeff is writing for Gnome 2.2:
  see later action item.

  PENDING: Jeff to check in changes to dotplan.
  => Jeff is awaiting a computer (!)

  PENDING: Jeff to install analog or webalyser on the box hosting dotplan
  so we know what people are looking for/at/over.
  => post-FTP changeover.

  PENDING: Jeff to create check-list of "things to do before major
  release" and maintain it so it's ready for 2.2.0.
  => post-FTP changeover, but he's started anyway.

  PENDING: Jeff to write 'GNOME 2.2 Desktop Modules' GEP and post, etc.
  => This action has morphed. The one GEP has become three: one about
  the developer platform of GNOME; one which is a list of modules for
  the desktop generally which will be a base for future GEPs to work
  from; and one which will be the desktop platform module list specifically
  for 2.2 (when 2.4 comes along, that will have its own). He has started
  writing this (these).

Decisions and discussion:

  * 2.0.2 "debrief"

  It's out. Woo. 2.0.3 thoughts? Probably a while off yet.
  -Much- discussion about where you would put tarballs of
  "intermediate betweenn 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 releases" on the
  ftp site.

  * Known issues attempting to build HEAD

  (Courtesy of Jody's comments to Mikael because Telsa didn't follow
  the phone conversation) --

  1) pkg-config is not respecting -pthread.  You need to manually add
  a -lpthread to the gmodule pc file.
  2) ORBit2 does not like it if you run 'make install' without first
  running 'make'.
  3) gtk+ has a small ordering problem that will result in
  gdk/gdkenumtypes.h not being built some times.
  4) I'm not familiar with the canvas issue.  Are you sure you have
  the fontcache aware version of pango HEAD ?

  (This last referred to Mikael having difficulty with libgnomecanvas
  and pango HEAD with v-b-s.)

  * Status of 2.1 development

  We have said all along that 2.2 will be time-based. No-one
  believes us because this is GNOME. But it will be! There are
  eight days left before the first weekly snapshot. We must
  encourage everyone to do lots of 2.1 hacking in readiness.

  * module-tracking:

  Telsa will take gnome-games and gnome-terminal watching off Karl.
  Greg Leblanc pointed out that we had gtk-doc on our list of
  "things we don't expect to change" and that it is going to
  change. Greg gets his "I read the minutes" badge and Jody gets
  to keep up with gtk-doc development.

  * Performance stuff

  In August there was some discussion on the mailing lists about
  profiling and performance. Given the colossal improvements to
  some applications between Gnome 1.4 and 2.0 which such profiling
  achieved, we like this subject.

  Sun are looking at this internally: they have been looking at
  "heap size" (I think :)) and at dependencies. They expect to have
  something postable next week. Jody would be very interested
  to see quantify results on Gnome apps.

  * Fifth Toe

  Jamin has no time to do Fifth Toe. We shall mail the foundation
  board and suggest we put out a call for someone to do that.

  * Apologies in advance:

  Telsa, Glynn and Luis are all away next week. Someone else
  must take minutes (hee!)

Telsa