Re: [HIG] Re: [Usability] Re: Decision: instant apply window buttons

Hello Calum,

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Calum Benson wrote:

> No, we believe (well, I do anyway) that Esc should always mean "Cancel",

> (There are other standard keybidings for "Close" in GNOME, however:
> Alt-F4 and Ctrl-W).

So let me launch an idea. I recall some time ago on irc we talked about
global GNOME bindings for the F-keys. I believe the binding of F-keys by
applications is highly recommended against, but for the desktop
environment they could come in handy. We already have 'F1' for help and
'F10' for menu activation. Are there major objections to, say, just F4 for
Close? (This is assuming compound keys are indeed an accessability
problem.)

Feel free to shoot holes in my plan... :-)

--

Reinout van Schouwen
e-mail    : reinout cs vu nl

VU/W&I studiereis naar Ierland! - maart 2002 - www.cs.vu.nl/storm/ierland