Re: GtkHtml 1, 2 and 1->2

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> writes:
> > <quote who="Michael Meeks">
> >
> > > GtkHTML1            GtkHTML2
> > >
> > > editable            not editable
> > > actively maintained not maintained
> > > no CSS / DOM                CSS / DOM
> > > in-accessible               accessible
> >
> > Sounds like the most straight forward solution would be to continue using
> > GtkHTML2 within the GNOME Desktop release components, and port GtkHTML1 for
> > those applications that require editing.
>
> That's certainly the short-term plan, but these widgets involve a lot
> of code, and we really need to pick one of them and push it to feature
> completeness I think.
>
> I guess in the end it doesn't matter what we declare on the mailing
> list - the issue is which one the people doing the work decide to work
> on. Right now Ximian really wants to put effort into GtkHTML1, but it
> sounds like Sun wants to do the accessibility work on GtkHTML2, so
> it's sort of unclear.

The DOM issue will become important for accessibility too - we
will need a DOM-capable HTML widget for accessibility eventually.
So this may also figure into the decision of whether there
is need for two (three?) HTML widgets, and which widget to
support going forward.

(I am not 100% convinced that an HTML editor needs to be using
the same widget as a corresponding viewer, IMHO)

Eventually a possibility may be to go with the mozilla component,
but that has a long timeline since it requires not only the gtk+2/glib-2
port, but feature completion on the accessibility work which
mozilla hackers are working on.

Regards,

Bill