Re: GtkHtml 1, 2 and 1->2

Hi Michael!

On So, 2002-04-06 at 07:16, Michael Meeks wrote:
> So, several of us:
>
> 	Havoc,
> 	Nat,
> 	Ettore,
> 	Mikael,
> 	Jonathan,
> 	Anders
>
> 	Had a discussion about HTML rendering in Gnome 2.0 and beyond; in the
> light of Radek's recent port of GtkHTML to Gnome 2.0.

It's pity that you didn't tell me about this disscussion, I will be glad
to join it :-(

> 	We agreed:
>
> GtkHTML1		GtkHTML2
>
> editable		not editable
> actively maintained	not maintained
> no CSS / DOM		CSS / DOM
> in-accessible		accessible
>
> 	* We agreed that adding editing was the most difficult part of
> 	  making GtkHTML1 fly, and that adding it to GtkHTML2 is
> 	  extremely non-trivial.

I am not so sure about this. The difficult parts have been to rewrite
previous broken editing implementation and design/implement UI (rather
time consuming task).

> 	* We noticed the strange version numbering / namespacing issue
> 	  between GtkHTML1 and GtkHTML2 and GtkHTML1 ported to Gnome 2.0
> 	  and they both use the 'gtk_html_' namespace.

I agree either with EHTML name and e_html_ namespace or with GHTML and
g_html_ namespace.

I think just another possibility is to merge gtkhtml and gtkhtml2. Right
now I don't know much about DOM and CSS or even gtkhtml2 codebase, but
from my view it could be good solution.

We could

        * use gtkhtml2 as codebase
        * port editing (plus other features - I think this is what some
          people are forgetting about) to gtkhtml2. I think we could
          reuse whole component code, add editing functionality to
          gtkhtml2 widget.
        * implement missing features required by Evolution.
or
        * redesign/refactor gtkhtml1 to allow DOM and CSS (gtkhtml2
          developers, could you point out what do we basically need for
          this?) do we really have to use libxml for DOM?
        * implement accessibility (Our estimates were something like 2
          man months of work. After experience with gtkhtml porting to
          gnome-2.0 in 7 days (most of functionality) I am much more
          optimistic about this.

I am sorry I missed GUADEC disscussion. gtkhtml2 people, could we have
another disscussion on IRC? I think Larry is on vacations right now, but
I think he will be back pretty soon.

Cheers
Radek