Re: GNOME 2.0 Platform Alpha Deadline - Sep 26, 2001

On 18Sep2001 07:46PM (+0100), Sander Vesik wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> > > Does something actually use - or will be using gnome-http in gnome-2.0?
> > >

> > Various things use it, including a couple of applets in
> > gnome-applets. However, gnome-http has a very low-level and not so
> > well integrated API. My suggestion would be to drop it from the
> > official platform, but still include it in the release as a
> > non-platform library.
> >

> Oh, yes, how could I possibly forget these. All the nice applets that want
> you to set 'http_proxy' in .login for them to work.

It seems OK to me to remove it from the release entirely if everything
now using it can be ported to something else (preferably something
that supports gnome-wide proxy settings).

Otherwise, I would like to see it moved to the same sort of
internal-use status as eel, librsvg, gal, etc.

Does anyone here think we should continue to support gnome-http as a
full-fledged, committed platform library for GNOME 2.0?

Regards,

Maciej