Re: GNOME 2.0 Platform Alpha Deadline - Sep 26, 2001

On 18Sep2001 03:14PM (+0100), Sander Vesik wrote:
> On 18 Sep 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > Unknown or needs fixing, I will be working on these:
> >
> >   gconf
> >   gnome-http
>
> Does something actually use - or will be using gnome-http in gnome-2.0?

Various things use it, including a couple of applets in
gnome-applets. However, gnome-http has a very low-level and not so
well integrated API. My suggestion would be to drop it from the
official platform, but still include it in the release as a
non-platform library.

(Aside: The main gnome-http feature that you can't yet do with
gnome-vfs that people really want is http POST, so gnome-http is
sometimes used for that.

It might also be useful for very low-level http operations where you
really care about the reqest or response headers, but I don't know of
any code using it that way.)

- Maciej