Re: GNOME 2.0 Platform Alpha Deadline - Sep 26, 2001

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On 18Sep2001 03:14PM (+0100), Sander Vesik wrote:
> > On 18 Sep 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > > Unknown or needs fixing, I will be working on these:
> > >
> > >   gconf
> > >   gnome-http
> >
> > Does something actually use - or will be using gnome-http in gnome-2.0?
> >

> Various things use it, including a couple of applets in
> gnome-applets. However, gnome-http has a very low-level and not so
> well integrated API. My suggestion would be to drop it from the
> official platform, but still include it in the release as a
> non-platform library.

Oh, yes, how could I possibly forget these. All the nice applets that want
you to set 'http_proxy' in .login for them to work.

> (Aside: The main gnome-http feature that you can't yet do with
> gnome-vfs that people really want is http POST, so gnome-http is
> sometimes used for that.

Oh. ok.

> It might also be useful for very low-level http operations where you
> really care about the reqest or response headers, but I don't know of
> any code using it that way.)

As it appears to use a really not so nice or recent lib as a backend, i'd
rather we moved away from it...

> - Maciej

	Sander

I haven't been vampired. You've been Weatherwaxed.