Re: GNOME 2.0 Platform Alpha Deadline - Sep 26, 2001

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 09:20:31AM -0500, Bill Gribble wrote:
> On Tue, 2001-09-18 at 09:14, Sander Vesik wrote:
> > Does something actually use - or will be using gnome-http in gnome-2.0?
>
> Gnucash uses it.  I don't know if that's enough, but it's there.  I
> can't see any alternative short of libwww, and for the most part
> gnome-http does what it's supposed to do with low hassle.

libwww is really evil. Its far too complex for almost everything you'll want
to do. I would like to see gnome-http replaced in gnome-2.0 because we
already have some HTTP support in gnome-vfs and libxml. As far as I'm aware
the main feature we're lacking from the HTTP support in gnome-2.0 is POST
support. If adding this will let us drop gnome-http from the platform then
I'll try to get support in before the Alpha deadline. What do you use
gnome-http for in Gnucash?

> This is an ignorant question, I'm sure (haven't paid too much attention
> to gnome-2.0 issues) but why isn't libgal on the gnome-2.0 list?

I think the gnome-2.0 core platform is all LGPL (or compatible) licensed code
whereas GAL is (mostly) GPLed. I believe it was our policy that the core
platform would be LGPL. Perhaps we should consider moving some of the more
stable and LGPL parts of GAL into gnome-libs?

Ian