Re: National Website in Japan (pressing for an action)

On 28 May 2001 18:22:21 -0400, Iain wrote:

> > and if you
> > ever looked at the XFCE webpage you see that GNOME compatability is a
> > priority for them. This is not comperable to KDE which has a separate
> > development plattform.
>
> So? It's still a free desktop environment and if people are using KDE
> instead of GNOME then "that's a win for free software (even though
> it may be a bit of a lose for companies that depend on lots of people
> using GNOME*)." (Thanks Maciej).
The difference is that promoting XFCE promotes us.

> Anyway, I don't care any more.
> This is depressing me.
And you think it makes me a happy camper?

> iain
> (*) And no, I'm not doing this for a "The company I work for is
> dependant on GNOME so I don't want anyone else knowing about competing
> projects" reason. I'm doing this because I want gnotices to be relevant
> about GNOME, and I don't feel XFCE is relevant. But enough, I really
> don't care anymore, I'm going to play Monkey Island.
I never claimed you did say this as a Ximian developer being defensive,
in fact I even mentioned in one of my previous mails that I would
think that Ximian would much rather have people using XFCE than other
none GTK+\GNOME based desktops since it makes your applications their
natural choice.

The core difference between us is that I see XFCE as something that makes the GTK+
\GNOME platform stronger and more diverse, and you see anything that isn't developed
as part of our core plattform a threat for some reason.

You and I both want GNOME to be the leading plattform, the difference is that I
feel that the way to accomplish that is by forging alliances and friendships with
people who supports the same technology foundation as we do, instead of your approach
which seems to me being quoting Ibsen saying 'those who stand alone is the strongest'

Christian