Re: National Website in Japan (pressing for an action)

On 26 May 2001 16:18:07 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> writes:
>
> > > That isnt the problem. In fact if gnotices fell down irrepairably it would be
> > > a major plus point for the gnome project. Gnotices consists of nothing but
> > > libel, defamation and actionable hate speech.
Yes, there is a bad amount of trolling on Gnotices, but it has actually
gotten better lately. I think that as we solve more and more of our
problems the amount of flames/trolls will actually become much more
tolerable. For instance the Nautilus 1.0.3 release cut down the number
of flames a lot. The Sun release and the upcoming HP-UX release helps
with getting rid of flames also. If I might dare make a suggestion is
that most GNOME projects should try to get a few compilation testers on
their teams. People who are willing to recieve a tarball and try to
install the new version before it is officially released. Releases
unable to compile as been a steady generator of flames/complaints on
Gnotices too.

While there are some stupid flames on Gnotices obviously from KDE
supporters in their puberty and with to much time, I think the level of
such are tolerable. The rest of the flames are unfortunatly a small but
vocal part of our own community whose mother never told how to behave,
who do complain about more or less valid problems.

<SNIP>
> What makes you think there is any chance it would come back better?
>
> If we want to eliminate trolling, well, there is a very easy solution
> - turn on moderation of comments. If people would like this, then they
> could help it happen by volunteering to assist with moderation.
>
> More intricate solutions are possible. I suggested several weeks ago
> that we probably should require an account with an emailed password
> for posting, though that would require implementation. (Various
> people followed up to object to the idea.)
Personally I voice my support for both these ideas, whichever is more
acceptable and/or easy to implement.

> In any case, I think having a news site, whether there are comments or
> not on it, is a good thing, and turning it off would look bad
> for GNOME.
That is definetly my opinion too, especially since ditching Gnotices will
leave me 'unemployed' :)

Christian