Re: National Website in Japan (pressing for an action)

Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> writes:

> > That isnt the problem. In fact if gnotices fell down irrepairably it would be
> > a major plus point for the gnome project. Gnotices consists of nothing but
> > libel, defamation and actionable hate speech.

One area where we can be glad that gnome.org is hosted in the US.

> I'm inclined to agree. Theoretically I like the idea of having a place
> where people can discuss articles etc, but Gnotices is not that place.
> Pragmatically speaking it has turned into a place to troll, flame
> application developers, and drag people through the mud. We should
> evaluate gnotices based not on what it should be but on what it is. In
> that sense I would be very much in favour of shutting gnotices down, at
> least for a few months to see if we can bring it back "better".

What makes you think there is any chance it would come back better?

If we want to eliminate trolling, well, there is a very easy solution
- turn on moderation of comments. If people would like this, then they
could help it happen by volunteering to assist with moderation.

More intricate solutions are possible. I suggested several weeks ago
that we probably should require an account with an emailed password
for posting, though that would require implementation. (Various
people followed up to object to the idea.)

In any case, I think having a news site, whether there are comments or
not on it, is a good thing, and turning it off would look bad
for GNOME.

Regards,
                                        Owen

(Not disagreeing at all that the there is some very objectionable
stuff showing up in the comments recently.)