Re: control center plans, etc.

On 21 Jun 2001 11:52:05 -0400, Bradford Hovinen wrote:
> I also agree that the XML archiver should not be part of XST. One
> possibility would be to put it in bonobo-conf and have a configuration
> moniker that, acting as a wrapper, archives data with it. There are
> numerous other possibilties, though, and I am not committed to any one.

Cool idea. Every preferences dialog has a slider or similar thing, so
there is no need of try/revert or apply/restore. Changing options has
immediate effect (except for expensive operations, as theme change), and
with a slider you can roll back to some fixed positions: before opening
this dialog, yesterday, factory defaults. I don't think other time
positions are useful, but they may be.

Factory defaults is the same thing as "First" folder in XST archive.

In general, there are three levels of configuration which are totally
separate at the moment:

1) application options,
2) desktop (user) preferences,
3) and system settings.

they should be done through the same framework, and XST, bonobo-conf,
GConf and PonG bring that vision close to reality. It may be possible
today, but much work has to be done...

--
Gediminas Paulauskas
Kaunas, Lithuania