Re: GConf - defaults.

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Another rather orthogonal point, that perhaps belongs on gconf-list.
>
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, someone wrote:
> > > I believe this has been discussed previously - it is very important that
> > > the default value be stored in the schema, and only in the schema.
>
> 	This sounds like a good plan on the face of it.
>
> 	However, when you consider multiple parallel installs of eg.
> gnumeric, each adding and removing keys from the database 0 with only the
> latest schema and defaults installed, it seems neccessary to have sensible
> defaults in the application as well.

Aren't incompatible scheme just like shared libraries? You version them?

Furthermore, if you have settings that are 'per-instance' or
per-installation, you should probably treat them as such. An application
either supports parallel installations or it doesn't (and is going to spam
the other installations in various interesting ways anyways.