Re: GConf and bonobo-config - some ideas

Le 20 Jun 2001 12:07:14 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak a écrit :
> On 20Jun2001 02:51PM (-0400), Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > jacob berkman <jacob ximian com> writes:
> > > is this the thing that starts up root-owned oafd's?
> >
> > Pretty much.
> >
> > > if so, have you any ideas on how to not start root oafd/gconfd?
> >
> > gconfd exits after a few minutes of non-use. Shouldn't be worse than
> > any other process started up during a package install.
>
> I'm planning to add this same feature to oafd.
>
> > But if you pass --use-local-source to gconftool it will go directly to
> > the database and bypass gconfd. Perhaps this should be the default for
> > --install-schema-file.
>
> This sounds like a smart move in any case though. Better not to spawn
> the processes at all, if they're unnecessary in this case.

I can't agree more ..

We had a lot of problem when finalizing Mandrake 8.0 because installing
schema at Mdk install (in chrooted env) was causing gconfd and oafd
processes to stay up and running and was preventing clean install of Mdk
:((

Bad hack was to add "gconftool --shutdown ; killall oafd" when
installing schema at Mdk install time..

BTW, there is no "--uninstall-schema-file" in gconftool and it is
missing when building packages (rpm in our case..)

--
Frédéric Crozat
MandrakeSoft