Re: National Website in Japan (pressing for an action)

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 08:54:56PM -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > Strangely enough so have the comments on Gnotices gotten a lot better
> > lately. Think the last 4-5 stories have almost been troll/flame free.
>
> Trolls are on finals.  Wait until they have spare time or a flamable
> topic pops up.
>
> Lets get rid of it.  People have been impersonating me on gnotices as
> well, I had someone ask me `Why did you say that?' on e-mail.

I was thinking about Gnotices a bit lately and have realized that it was
actually productive several times to have comments.  I rarely read
gnome-list, so I could actually get some info out of the gnotices comments.
I think shutting it down actually would look bad for us.

I think one of the UI articles you mentioned a while ago mentioned that users
like to have control.  Well Gnotices is certainly the "UI" of the GNOME
project, taking away the comments would reflect bad on users.  We'd take away
the trolls, yes, but we'd also take away people wanting to ask questions or
post interesting links, or post their experiences in response to news
stories.

So if you look at the trend, trolls are basically almost ALWAYS from
anonymous cowards or people impersonating others.  People who put in their
real name and email just about always post interesting or even on topic
stuff.

So I think just requireing an emailed password would be enough, does
squishdot support this?

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that