Bonobo / Gtk Menu / Toolbars...

On 20 Feb 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> It won't be compatible with bonobo-ui, because there were some large
> objections to that API. We made a strenuous effort to get that API
> synced with future GTK, but there was a lack of time on all sides to
> make that happen. Though I tried. So, joy.

        If you review your list of suggestions, you will find that many of
them have subsequently been implemented - furthermore massaging XML
between similar formats is not altogether difficult to provide a nice
compatibility path.

        The architecture is now considerably cleaner having been split
into the more abstract model and -> widget synchronization backends - per
view type rendering code if you like.

        It is not at all suitable for wholesale use in Gtk+, but then the
Gtk+ API is not perfect either. IMHO time could be spent more profitably
fixing the things in Gtk+ that cripple the Bonobo UI code - such as
keybindings, than re-writing working code.

        Regards,

                Michael.