Re: the same page

I'm not talking about the hardware performance or memory capacity, or
other such figures. The problem is that PDAs...

a) have "exotic" methods of input
b) present special design challenges due to small screens (aggravated by
low resolution, but even a very high resolution screen of that size
would have special design challenges)

(a) will probably be aided by the accessibility extensions in GTK2, and
may not be such a big issue.

However, many design directions taken by the GNOME/GTK(/X?) system are
not really appropriate to PDAs. For example, windows are not a concept
that I think is particularly desirable in a PDA. Nor are traditional
GTK-style menubars. Obviously things like the GNOME panel and Nautilus
are not appropriate interfaces even if the iPAQ hardware were fast
enough to easily accomodate them. The list goes on...

We'll need some radical interface improvements to accomodate PDAs. Some
of the suggestions Jim made at the last GUADEC could go part of the way
here, for example having interfaces described somewhat more in the
abstract with specific interface specs for traditional targets (thus
allowing interfaces to be tweaked to look how you want on the desktop
but still have an abstract form that can generate a PDA interface).

I agree with Jim that the notion of your PDA being able to be your PC
and being able to plug into projectors, monitors, keyboards, mice, etc
(and having your applications migrate onto those things and adapt their
interface to suit the new resolution / input method) is attractive. The
point is that I don't think the GTK/GNOME of today is appropriate for
PDAs.

-Seth