Re: Why GNOME Hackers Should Care about Usability

Ian McKellar <ian danger com> writes:

> I don't think there anything we could do to make it better for home
> users that would make it worse for engineers. I don't think theres a
> conflict of features but I think we have to be realistic that unless we
> have a team with skills and experience building interfaces for real
> users we can't hope to do a really good job building for that audience.
>
> So we shouldn't feel so bad if all we make is a great engineering
> desktop :-)

Yup, I'd generally agree that technical users are the current
target. (Not just software engineers though - also CAD, 3D rendering,
chip design, all the people who tend to use UNIX on workstations.)

Most UI bugs in current GNOME are annoying to me (as an engineer),
just as they would be to a less technical user though.

Havoc