Re: Why GNOME Hackers Should Care about Usability

On 21 Aug 2001 18:19:35 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> We're not going to get a truly usable GNOME desktop until GNOME
> hackers themselves learn to think about usability issues. Sending an
> explanation of why any one given feature should be changed is (a)
> likely to be ignored and (b) likely to require a lot of basic-level
> explanation of the developer you're talking to doesn't have the right
> grounding and mindset.

None of us seriously think that GNOME will ever be usable to normal home
and business desktop users do we? The usability-apathy is the only the
beginning of the problem. Personally I'm focussed on making GNOME a
great engineering desktop - and for me its currently a better
engineering desktop than any other I've used. I use it while I'm
end-user applications for another platform :-)

Ian