Re: GNOME CVS: libgnome martin

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:

> 	FWIW, I agree with Martin. The API we release, we get to support
> for a long time - probably far longer than we think. Thus, it is far, far
> better IMHO to release only a few, reasonably high quality APIs - than
> many substandard, known to be broken ones.
>
> 	It also strikes me that the accessibility guys will need to be
> able to play sounds on events; and that it seems entirely likely to me
> that they will be able to do it 'right' at some stage, probably soon.
>
> 	And of course, I spend my life cursing esd, and have never have
> sounds turned on, except in a moment of acclimatization madness when I
> discovered them some time ago.

Btw. there's absolutely no need to have this in libgnome anymore.
gnome-triggers won't work anymore anyways since everything which was
using it (GnomeDialog and GnomeMessageBox) is gone - so to make this
right, this'd need to be done in GTK+ anyways.

On the other hand, there's no problem with just using CSL in whatever
application wants to use sound - and CSL was already designed as a
sound-backend independent wrapper library - so I don't see a reason to
write a wrapper around a wrapper.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)