Re: GNOME CVS: libgnome martin

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
> The esd API is absolutely wonderful for what we need. Its so utterly
> simple that when we pick a post 2.0 decent gnome sound API it will be
> trivial to emulate. Until then there is no point adding another random
> half broken API to the system that will go away again

	FWIW, I agree with Martin. The API we release, we get to support
for a long time - probably far longer than we think. Thus, it is far, far
better IMHO to release only a few, reasonably high quality APIs - than
many substandard, known to be broken ones.

	It also strikes me that the accessibility guys will need to be
able to play sounds on events; and that it seems entirely likely to me
that they will be able to do it 'right' at some stage, probably soon.

	And of course, I spend my life cursing esd, and have never have
sounds turned on, except in a moment of acclimatization madness when I
discovered them some time ago.

	Regards,

		Michael.