Re: [Nautilus-list] Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 06:47:25PM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> If the only reason to change it was so that the directory would be shown
> first by ls, then that reasoning is a bit broken.

Agreed.  I didn't state the case for "Evolution/" very
well... probably because one of the main reasons is this sort of
amorphous "capitalized-directories-are-special" convention
(i.e. Mail/, Desktop/) that is hard to quantify in any precise way.

Maybe we could come up with some sort of convention for non-dot
directories that shouldn't appear in file managers, so that
Nautilus/gmc/Konquerer don't need to carry around lists.  Maybe
something like an empty file named "._Hidden_Directory_" inside the
directory that the file managers could check for?

Something like that could keep the general public from having to worry
about Evolution/ vs. evolution/ vs. .evolution/, and I'm sure we can
could come up with some solution for hackers with strong opinions
about directory naming conventions (i.e. all of us).  Maybe the
directory name could be stored in a config file that anyone who really
cared enough could just edit it by hand...

-JT

(I speak only for myself here, of course, and not as an official agent
of Ximian, Inc.  If Ximian wants me to be their official agent, they need
to pay me more.)