Re: [Nautilus-list] Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 11:14:07PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> On that note, could someone give me a pointer to the discussion about the
> evolution directory (dot-dir vs. not-dot-dir)? I've been looking for it for
> a while, but last I saw, the Ximian lists weren't searchable.

The basic thinking behind having "evolution/" instead of ".evolution/"
is that the directory contains more than just config info --- it also
contains all of your mail, contacts, etc.  This data can easily be
hundreds of megabytes (particularly if you subscribe to too many
mailing lists!), and the thinking is that hundreds of megs of crucial
data shouldn't be stored in a dot-directory.

The current thinking on the evolution team is to change it from
"evolution/" to "Evolution/", so it will be at the beginning of your
ls, rather than mixed in with all of your files, and won't be confused
with a CVS checkout of evolution...  at GUADEC I heard a report of one
person who rm -rf-ed it because of this).

-JT