Re: Bugs in Bugzilla

> Well, it makes it impossible to follow up with the user if the info in
> the bug report is insufficient. Or for the user to be notified when
> the bug is closed, so it can be verified.

I admit, this is a disadvantage. But what is more important: people
submitting bugs when something crashes or not at all?

Remember, bug-buddy comes up anytime an application crashes. Most of the
users are happy to submit a bug report because it's quick and easy. Yeah,
it results in a lot of duplicated and occasionally bad bugs, but it's more
of a resource than a detriment.

> I think mandating a valid email address is acceptable. If we want to
> be able to get feedback other than that, it could be filed as "problem
> reports" which are only turned into real bug reports when someone
> looks at them and distills relevant information. But I don't think
> that is particularly critical.

Mandating a valid email address is good, but requiring someone to register
with the bug tracker and to remember a password to use it isn't. Although,
if we do have one for "bugs" and something (that bug-buddy sends to) for
"problem reports", then this isn't an issue. The only issue then is that
someone is going to have to wade through the "problem reports" and promote
them to "bugs" if applicable. And if there's that much volume involved and
lackluster maintainers or problem-report-people, then what do we gain,
really?

Joe