Re: Bugs in Bugzilla

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com> writes:
> > Bugzilla makes it easy to give different permission levels for
> > changing various things. Personally I think anyone should be able to
> > at least:
> >
> > Cc themselves on a bug report; add a comment to the description; add an
> > attachment; verify or reopen a closed bug
> >
> > Perhaps more controversially it's also useful if you can change the
> > title/summary and add to the "this bug depends on" or "this bug
> > blocks" field.
> >

> The only thing I really don't want non-maintainers to be able to do is
> close bugs, I would say. Definitely we want people to be able to help
> file bugs, comment on them, etc. Maintainers though should have to
> verify the bug is fixed.

is maintainer vs. non-maintainer the right boundary? If I fix a Gtk+
bug or a gnome-libs bug or a bonobo bug, I want to be able to close
it, not have to mail the maintainer and ask him to do it.

Even naiive users accidentally closing a bug does not seem that bad,
if we require a verification phase. Plus the person assigned gets mail
on any change to the bug they do not make so it's easy to notice and
revert wrongfully closed bugs.

 - Maciej