Re: Bugzilla outstanding issues

Dan Winship wrote:

    We need to discuss whether we want to have some
    <package>-maint bugzilla gnome org mail aliases
    for package maintainers like we had with the old
    bug tracker or whether we want to have all bugs
    assigned to individual persons.

As the person who all evolution-mail bugs get assigned to by default
at Helix Code, I vote for package-maint aliases. First, because then
everyone on the list can get the mail when a bug is added, and second,
because it makes it easier to see what a person is really working on.
(Theoretically, you can do this at bugzilla.helixcode.com by seeing
which bugs are "NEW danw" vs "ASSIGNED danw", but no one other than me
ever seems to notice this distinction. :)

Yeah, this seems pretty important with bugs being assigned to an alias that has multiple recipients. It also means that the nag mail that is ( maybe ) sent out every night will be sent to the list and people can respond to it.

@severities = (
        "blocker",
        "critical",
        "major",
        "normal",
        "minor",
        "trivial",
        "enhancement"
);

What do these all mean? Does the separation of "blocker" and
"critical" mean that we'll ship packages with "critical" bugs, and if
so, what does "critical" mean? What's the useful distinction between
"minor" and "trivial"?

In the Mozilla world where all this came from, blocker means that people will hold the tree closed until a bug gets fixed. That is, no checkins that might further hide the problem until the checkin that caused the problem is either fixed or backed out of cvs.

This is mostly a result of daily verificiation builds of an entire "product" and isn't terribly relevant to what gnome is doing since there aren't daily builds.

As to your second question I guess that "trivial" is less important than "minor." :) It's really up to the developer.

@opsys = (

I don't think we want/need this, or platform. Yeah, there will be bugs
that affect Solaris and not Linux, but you can just mention that in
the bug description, which people have done with the current system,
and I don't think it's been a problem. (The distinction makes much
more sense in Mozilla-land, where you have vastly separate Unix, Mac,
and Windows ports, and people working on one are likely to be
completely unable to do anything about bugs that are specific to
another.)

There are things in gnome that do have different operating systems including win32. You should add that operating system so that the people doing the gtk win32 port can put bugs in the system. Also, there might be problems with XIM on solaris or something that are opsys specific. There really isn't a reason to remove this field if it's there already.

        trash   - Bug report was closed because it was crap/useless etc.,
                  set this keyword to distinguish it from other closed
                  bug reports so we can exclude them in queries

Bugzilla already has this. You mark the bug "INVALID" rather than
"RESOLVED".

Yep.

        helpwanted - Developer is looking for someone to help him with this
                     bug report, for instance because he don't have time or
                     he's unable to fix it himself

Hm... but you said it's hard to remove a keyword from a bug? Seems
like you might want to remove this after a while.

It's not hard to remove a keyword from a bug. It's trivial ( as opposed to minor. )

--Chris

--
Christopher Blizzard