Re: Subversion migration schedule (cut-off Fri 18 Mar)

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Davyd Madeley wrote:
>

>>On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 01:39:13PM +0700, Ross Golder wrote:
>>

>>>How about this:
>>>
>>>http://developer.gnome.org/tools/svn.html

>>It would seem (correct me if I'm wrong) that each of the modules is
>>in effect its own little SVN repo. This begs the question of
>>importing new modules, how do we go about this?
>>

>Yeah, and that of don't we want to group any modules together?
>The gnome-python/* ones may want to go into one repo for example.
>Or the Java ones..., etc.  What are the pros/cons of some modules
>sharing the same repo?

Pro: you can move files between modules without losing history if the
two modules reside in the same repository.

Con: putting lots of stuff in a single repository probably increases the
chances of lock contention.

Given the limitations of Subversion, it would make a lot of sense to use
single repositories for sets of modules where code is likely to get
copied/moved.

James.