Re: Subversion migration schedule (cut-off Fri 18 Mar)

El sáb, 11-02-2006 a las 07:59 -0500, Daniel Veillard escribió:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 04:04:23PM +0700, Ross Golder wrote:
> > I'm sure it will all come as a bit of a shock to some of you
>
>   Precisely, see below !
>
> > The cut-off date for CVS write access will be Friday 18th March 2006 at
> > 23:59UTC. No more CVS commits after that point. CVS read access will
> > remain available via anonymous pserver for another month, although will
> > *not* contain any live updates that are applied to Subversion.
>
>   Suggesting a cutoff date while no documentation is available about the
> impact of the migration from an user/developper perspective (i.e. how this
> work compared to CVS, commands, will old authentication work, how, etc.)
> sounds to me a perfect recipe for a disaster. Nothing has circulated about
> this, I have no idea how subversion work, if it will work well on Windows
> (I have a number of users on that platform), I'm just left with being
> threatened of having my code access tools unavailable, and absolutely
> nothing telling me I will still able to work after that point or have
> the other people on my project work. CVS is glued in a lot of things
> both human and tool wise, and a migration plan which seems to completely
> ignore the peripheral aspects ('someone voluntered to write a doc' can't
> replace a 'we have a doc, here is what's available, will that work ?')
> sounds absolutely scary. I never touched SVN, the other commiters on my
> modules are I guess in the same state, it already took quite a bit of
> time to get Windows based users to find tools working with CVS, if you
> make the decision before we even have a chance to check how it's supposed
> to work, my next step will be to ask for a tarball of my CVS repository
> and try to host it somewhere else.

Daniel,

For Windows users, they can use TortoiseSVN, which is a similar tool
as Tortoise is for CVS.  (http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/)

Probably, for them will be less painful that for Linux/Unix users.

--
Germán Poó-Caamaño
http://www.ubiobio.cl/~gpoo/