Re: Subversion migration schedule (cut-off Fri 18 Mar)

Hi,

Daniel Veillard wrote:
>   Suggesting a cutoff date while no documentation is available about the
> impact of the migration from an user/developper perspective (i.e. how this
> work compared to CVS, commands, will old authentication work, how, etc.)
> sounds to me a perfect recipe for a disaster. Nothing has circulated about
> this, I have no idea how subversion work, if it will work well on Windows

There are 5 weeks until Friday the 17th of March (correction from Ross's date), and I can tell you now that your main concerns (functioning relative to CVS with authentification, and functioning on Windows) are both non-issues.

Subversion has been developed from the start to work on Windows, and there are several windows clients available - a Subversion port of TortoiseCVS for the windows shell, a wxWindows front-end called RapidSVN, and of course the good old command line. It's also well integrated with IDEs like Eclipse.

And the mode we'll be using, svn+ssh, is a strict equivalent to the CVS ext: method with CVS_RSH=ssh. The same public keys that were sent to GNOME sysadmin way back when will work unchanged. I imagine that was part of the motivation for moving to SSH at the time, as well.

It's worth noting that from a user perspective, the mode of function and command set of Subversion were chosen to make things easier for people using CVS - the core command set is the same (co, ci, update, diff, status, log) - the things which change are branching & tagging, which are done with a simple copy of a directory (copies and moves are versioned) and we pick up some nice new features besides with versioned properties, atomic commits, and off-line diff and status (you can find out what you've done without querying the repository).

  Please don't rush, explain first then make a decision, not the way
around ! As long as you don't have docs explaining the migration process
from an user point of view (I honnestly don't care about the sysadmin point of view, what you explain is not what I need to know), and feedback
that it will work out for most, please postpone any cutoff date.

It's hardly a surprise that there are moves away from CVS. This has been discussed in length on ddl and gnome-hackers several times over the past few years, and now someone's gone and gotten it done.

All in all, I'd like to say yay.

Cheers,
Dave.

--