Re: Subversion migration schedule (cut-off Fri 18 Mar)

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 11:22:47PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Davyd Madeley">
>
> > With that in mind, and since I couldn't find it on the wiki. I was
> > wondering what reasons we have chosen to go with Subversion over other
> > popular contenders.
>
> Sucks less than CVS, won't take a lot of relearning, uses very similar model
> and infrastructure, relatively easy migration, doesn't change our ability to
> use other systems alongside it.

  I don't see any doc explaining that.

> It's an easy, incremental shift that helps us out in the near term, without
> getting in the way of testing/using other (more interesting) systems.

  Easy, good, now how ?
For example I have scripts building cvs checkout tarball automated on
crontab, how am I gonna do this with the new software without possible
authentication ? How are people using the Windows platform be able to
use it ? Same for MacOS ? Will we still have the equivalent of anonymous
checkouts ? What is the equivalent operation of the usual CVS commands that
the people use now ?
At this point I'm just wondering how many of my contributors on my project
I'm gonna loose instantly, and I don't find this fun at all whatever the
problems some of you may have w.r.t. CVS, it's hard for me to feel happy
about this plan.

Daniel