Re: Subversion migration schedule (cut-off Fri 18 Mar)

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 16:04 +0700, Ross Golder wrote:

> I'm sure it will all come as a bit of a shock to some of you, but CVS
> will shortly be reaching retirement age. He has agreed to stay on until
> after the 2.14.0 final release, but will shortly afterwards be heading
> into retirement to enjoy his gold watch and lump sum. I am sure all of
> you that have worked with him since the project began will (cough)
> dearly miss working with him (cough), and will join me in thanking him
> for his many years good service to our community.

I am quite impressed by how far along this schedule is. I thought we'd
still be using CVS for some time now.

I AM PRECLARIFYING THIS WITH THE WARNING THAT THIS IS NOT A "I THINK WE
SHOULD HAVE USED SCM x" THREAD AND ANYONE WHO TURNS IT INTO THAT WILL BE
PERSONALLY HUNTED DOWN AND STONED.

With that in mind, and since I couldn't find it on the wiki. I was
wondering what reasons we have chosen to go with Subversion over other
popular contenders.

Again, no one say "oh, we should have used {Mercurial, Bazaar-ng, &c.}
instead". I only want the list of strengths that Ross and his team
identified so those strengths (and possible weaknesses) can be used in
other people's SCM analyses in the future.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA