Re: Proposals vs. Do It Now [Was: GNOME following a non-free standard]

On 5/23/05, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> <quote who="Luis Villa">
>
> > Luis (who thinks writing more proposals about gnome3, as opposed to going
> > and coding examples of the damn thing, is likely to be a waste of time,
> > sorry)
>
> What we need right now is shared vision. I absolutely appreciate that code
> is the ultimate defining force, but that can be exclusive as well as
> defining, as we've already seen in recent times. I understand your point of
> view here, but hammering on this point and making it a cultural touchstone
> *will* seriously damange our ability to build a shared vision among us. We
> need to regroup, not charge off willy-nilly.

We've been waiting for a shared vision about the future for several
years now, and it is taking us nowhere. I agree with the idea in
principle- we should totally have one- but the sitting and waiting for
it to happen *is* slowly killing us. The only innovation we have going
on at all right now is the people going forward and doing it. If
others want to keep pressing forward seeking the vision, great-
if/when they reach it and start coding, if it is persuasive, people
will re-enter the fold quickly, I have no doubt about that. But in the
meantime, the stagnation is doing us in.

Luis