Re: Subversion migration.

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 23:22 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> On 5/5/05, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 04:06:15PM -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > >     KDE moved to Subversion, news on Slashdot.
> >
> > If we moved to Arch, I bet we would make even bigger news on slashdot ;)
>
> FWIW, for those not there, the big argument made by the pro-arch camp
> at the boston summit was that svn was merely incremental improvement
> over cvs while arch had the potential to really change how we do
> things. I can't really speak to that one way or the other, not really
> having used either, but that is just the background.

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring and suggest Monotone
(http://venge.net/monotone/). It has all the distributed revision
control features of Arch, plus insanely cool branching and merging, plus
integration with graphical merging tools (ie. meld) and branch
visualisation tools.

All in all it looks pretty cool and works today, plus we don't get those
hideous branch names. I have spoken with a Monotone developer who is
happy to rsync our CVS tree to test that it can handle our copious 11G.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley              http://www.davyd.id.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://www.davyd.id.au/pgp/>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA