Re: houston, we have a problem- 2.10 showstoppers

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:35:28 -0700, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:43:35 -0500, Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
>
> > The bug we have a handle on- go elijah go!
> > 166722: gnome_url_show needs to use startup-notification and take a
> > timestamp parameter- basically, this is the 'when i open a webpage
> > from xchat, the browser never pops to the front' bug. Given how much
> > work has been put in to fix focus, we shouldn't be shipping with
> > something that affects external users so much.
>
> I should point out a few things here:
> (1) I think this bug can be punted, given a small change to nautilus
> and gnome-terminal to make them attempt to handle not being launched
> with startup notification--similar to what Galeon and Epiphany now do.

that sounds like a very limited view of what gnome-open and such are
used for. Via evolution, gnome_url_show can be used to open anything
that gets emailed around.

> (2) As far as I know, Mozilla and firefox are still basically broken
> in this respect and there's not a lot we can do about it; those two
> apps need to support startup-notification as launchees (including the
> timestamp part of startup notification).  Without that, there's no way
> to get them to work, whether they are launched with
> startup-notification or not.  This should probably be in the release
> notes in the known issues section.

jeez. that's a big 'known issue'. I'd love to think everyone is using
epiphany, but we all know that isn't the truth, so that is going to be
a really irritating regression for a lot of users.

> (3) Crispin and Christian have already added code to Galeon and
> Epiphany to try to make them handle not being launched with startup
> notification (from a quick glance at the code, I think they could do a
> little bit better, but nothing to worry about before 2.10).  Thus,
> when you open a webpage from various apps such as Evolution and your
> web browser is one of these two it will basically work.

It doesn't work for me from xchat + gnome-open with latest released
versions of everything and epiphany as my default browser. Is this
known or something I should file/reopen?

Luis