Re: [rvl-devel] Re: Revelation 0.1.0 released

I just thought I would come with a small suggestion, but please feel
free to ignore me if you do not like it. :-)

Erik Grinaker <erikg wired-networks net> writes:

> On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 11:14, Alexander Larsson wrote:

[...]

>> Its not tree-structured. Each keyring is just an unordered collection of
>> secret items each with a unique type/name. However, it is general
>> purpose in that any app can add GNOME_KEYRING_ITEM_GENERIC_SECRET items
>> (or GNOME_KEYRING_ITEM_NOTE for things meant for user use instead of app
>> use), and each item has attributes that are arbitrary name/value(string
>> or int) sets.
>
> Ok, right... Well, since it's not tree-structured I don't think I will
> be writing Revelation as a front-end for it - a tree structure is very
> handy when organizing even a moderate number of accounts.

I think a standard solution to the organisational problem with flat
databases is to introduce an instant search facility so you just type
in a substring of the description, and get the list of matches
instantly. This gives you the added bonus that people don't have to
spend time on actually organising the keys - they can simply type it
in and forget about it. So the UI is simpler.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/