Re: [rvl-devel] Re: Revelation 0.1.0 released

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 17:29, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 00:07, Erik Grinaker wrote:
> > Revelation is a password manager for the GNOME 2 desktop. It organizes
> > accounts in a tree-structure, and stores them as AES-encrypted XML. This
> > is the first release, with most basic functionality in place.
>
> Interesting... How does this relate to gnome-keyring, which is part of
> of Gnome 2.5? It seems to be similar, although not identical. And
> gnome-keyring doesn't have a UI yet apart from the integration with the
> password dialog and the authentication dialog.

Hm, I actually haven't heard about gnome-keyring until now - but it
would be really cool to somehow integrate Revelation with it.

I've only read the description of gnome-keyring in the module proposal,
so I don't know too much of the details. But if gnome-keyring can be
used as a general-purpose password storage system, with support for a
tree-structure for accounts and custom attributes (such as the CCV
number for credit cards), there shouldn't be any reason not to use it as
the data backend.

I'd be very interested in integrating Revelation with it. Revelation is
currently written in Python, but I guess I could rewrite it in C unless
Python bindings for gnome-keyring are made available soon (it's about
time to start learning C anyways :)).

--
Erik Grinaker <erikg wired-networks net>
http://erikg.wired-networks.net/

enthusiastic about."
                                                      -- Albert Einstein