Re: signal-to-noise on d-d-l

<quote who="Fernando Herrera">

> 	What about having a new list only for discussions? I mean a list
> where you can speak forever about flags, about new scripting solutions,
> about vaporware, about gentalia and so. We can keep desktop-devel-list
> for code/technical discussion and gnome-discussion (does it have
> negative connotations in English?) was a list here people can discuss
> non techincal issues. The evo thread for example, began as a tech issue,
> it was okey on d-d-l, but after 5th message, it could be moved to
> discucssion list. So we can ask for a policy like "Please, when you
> think (anmdd you are smart) that the thread is becoming
> non-technical/controvelsial/somethingpersonal, please move it to _only_
> gnome-discussion list"
>
> 	I remember about year 96, the main linux mailing list in Spanish
> (l-linux) became bigger and bigger, and the noise increased with rants,
> discussions about Microsoft is crap and so. That time, Kuko created the
> linux-qmd [1] just for people with aims to discuss fovered. And it
> worked.

Interesting idea... We did the same for the Sydney Linux Users Group lists a
while back, after much hemming and hawing over 'splitting' the main list. It
also worked, very well. slug-chat is a pretty whacked out, fun list. ;-) So,
I have this niggling feeling that it might just be overrun with crack, but
it could also be a very fun list... Hmm.

- Jeff

   I don't know whose brain child it was, but it was quite an ugly child.