Re: ANNOUNCE: Terminal Server Client 0.124

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> I think we already talked about it, but, ... what do you think about
> integrating tsclient into gnome-network? As you might know, we've got
> gnome-remote-desktop, which is a very simple UI for X and VNC. In the
> long term, we want to have more functionality shipping by default in
> gnome-network (to be included in the core for 2.6), so I guess getting
> tsclient is the right idea for this.

> What do you think?

Hi All,

It really doesn't matter to me.  My initial few thoughts follow...

1. I know squat about cvs and I am assuming this would require getting it
into cvs.  I used to know some, but haven't had to use it in years.

2. It has a pseudo-dependency on rdesktop.  It's not really needed, but
since it was written to be for that and then adapted to work with others
(*vncviewer, xnest, wfica).  Does gnome-network "want" the additional
deps?  A lot of the users I have been in communication with might not know
to install rdesktop or other without the thing screaming for it.

3. It had been discussed from the standpoint of making it more generic to
get it in.  That doesn't interest me at all.  I like it the way it is.  I
have been open to and made some changes, but I don't want another complete
UI restructure.  I don't think current users would like that, either.  One
of the benefits of this is that it is similar to the Microsoft client, so
people (like me) who switch back and forth between the 2 are able to do so
with relative ease.  Although the UI is probably not 100% inline with the
HIG, it is close in most important ways and it is an easy to use UI, imo.
So, the point is: don't expect major changes, unless they prove to be
worth a sh!t.

4. I am severly lacking in time lately.  The last release was done in
early July and had a showstopper bug for vnc in it - i was unable to get
it fixed and a new release out until the other day.  The several bug fixes
and the release took only a couple hours, but I didn't allocate the time
until I saw Will's message about 5th Toe.

To summarize: I would need a short, to the point set of instructions on
cvs.  I am not interested in big changes.  I don't have much time.  It
would/might add a questionable dependency to gnome-network.  I am open to
it, but need to know more.  Also, would this get me some help with
translations?  Those are a time killer - trying to get updates and get
them in in the proper encodings and blah!  I've learned way more than I
ever wanted to about localizing this.  ;-)

Erick Woods
erick gnomepro com
http://www.gnomepro.com/