Re: ANNOUNCE: Terminal Server Client 0.124

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 18:30, Erick Woods wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>
> > I think we already talked about it, but, ... what do you think about
> > integrating tsclient into gnome-network? As you might know, we've got
> > gnome-remote-desktop, which is a very simple UI for X and VNC. In the
> > long term, we want to have more functionality shipping by default in
> > gnome-network (to be included in the core for 2.6), so I guess getting
> > tsclient is the right idea for this.
>
> > What do you think?
>
> Hi All,
>
> It really doesn't matter to me.  My initial few thoughts follow...
>
> 1. I know squat about cvs and I am assuming this would require getting it
> into cvs.  I used to know some, but haven't had to use it in years.

yeah, cvs is needed, but it's easy:

http://developer.gnome.org/tools/cvs.html

one of the biggest advantages on having it in GNOME CVS is that you'll
get far more translations from the GNOME Translation team.

> 2. It has a pseudo-dependency on rdesktop.  It's not really needed, but
> since it was written to be for that and then adapted to work with others
> (*vncviewer, xnest, wfica).  Does gnome-network "want" the additional
> deps?  A lot of the users I have been in communication with might not know
> to install rdesktop or other without the thing screaming for it.

in gnome-network we detect the programs at run-time, at least in some
cases, for not having to depend on them. But we still depend on some
things, like, iirc, *vncviewer. So it's ok to me if we depend on
rdesktop, at least from a packaging point of view.

> 3. It had been discussed from the standpoint of making it more generic to
> get it in.  That doesn't interest me at all.  I like it the way it is.  I
> have been open to and made some changes, but I don't want another complete
> UI restructure.

it looks ok to me as it is. Of course, there are sure things to
fix/change, but I dont think a UI restructure is needed at all.

>   I don't think current users would like that, either.  One
> of the benefits of this is that it is similar to the Microsoft client, so
> people (like me) who switch back and forth between the 2 are able to do so
> with relative ease.  Although the UI is probably not 100% inline with the
> HIG, it is close in most important ways and it is an easy to use UI, imo.
> So, the point is: don't expect major changes, unless they prove to be
> worth a sh!t.

hmm, what were those changes to make it HIG-compliant that you dont want
to do?

> 4. I am severly lacking in time lately.  The last release was done in
> early July and had a showstopper bug for vnc in it - i was unable to get
> it fixed and a new release out until the other day.  The several bug fixes
> and the release took only a couple hours, but I didn't allocate the time
> until I saw Will's message about 5th Toe.

well, I'm sure getting it into GNOME CVS would help a lot in getting
more hands to work on it.

> To summarize: I would need a short, to the point set of instructions on
> cvs.

see above

>   I am not interested in big changes.  I don't have much time.  It
> would/might add a questionable dependency to gnome-network.  I am open to
> it, but need to know more.  Also, would this get me some help with
> translations?

of course, as I already said.

cheers