Re: Two new projects in the CVS and 5th Toe

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 15:11, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 14:17, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > This is just my own opinion, but I don't think GNOME's resources should
> > be used as a sourceforge. There is a random bunch of stuff in GNOME's
> > cvs, but I think anything new should be something that we think might be
> > part of the GNOME platform or desktop one day. It's hard to think about
> > that for a first version of something.
>
> I totally disagree with all of this. Some minimal resources on
> cvs.gnome.org costs us nearly nothing. Most projects like these are
> small and don't generate a huge amount of traffic, so the cost to the
> gnome project is very low. However, the gain of goodwill from developers
> is immense (in fact, its the only thing of lasting value the gnome
> project has).

Yeah, those are good points. I guess I'd be more concerned about adding
new cvs users just for their own modules because then we'd have loads of
non-GNOME contributors taking up resources and having full write access
to everything. For existing contributors such as Ole it seems fine to
let them use the resources as they like, within reason.

Personally I keep my own apps out of gnome cvs just to avoid GNOME being
embarassed by the implicit association.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net