RE: Open sysadmin-requests mailing-list?

> From: Jeff Waugh [mailto:jdub perkypants org]
> <quote who="Murray Cumming Comneon com">
>
> > I think we should at least have an open sysadmin-requests
> mailing list so
> > - everyone can see what needs to be done. This would also
> build a case for
> > employing a sysadmin.
> > - everyone can see how best to request something.
>
> Both of these are adequately solved by posting to
> gnome-sysadmin and Cc'ing
> a relevant public mailing list. Accountability, etc.
>
> > - the undocumented workings of our servers would be a bit
> more documented.
>
> A requests mailing list is unlikely to help with this.
>
> > - people without the root password can investigate problems
> and suggest
> > solutions that the syadmins can try quickly.
>
> A requests mailing list is unlikely to help with this.

I thought it would be helpful to have all of these in one place, and to
guaranttee that all these requests get posted somewhere public.

> Other options, the bugzilla product, or making the
> sysadmin-internal request
> tracker more publically available (I would far prefer
> bugzilla because I
> can't stand RT).
>
> All in all, I think you should seriously consider using the
> very simple and
> well tested first option. Fundamental and most relevant
> point: It is very
> easy to make requests publically accountable to people who
> actually give a
> crap about your request (ie. the audience of the relevant
> mailing list).
> Who, in all seriousness, would subscribe to a
> sysadmin-requests list?

I would not expect people to subscribe to it. But people would have the
opportunity to read the archives from time to time. It would seem like
progress to me. I think a small structural change like that would help,
whereas it doesn't really help for us to just decide to tell people to CC
other mailing lists. I think people already know that they can do that, but
the situation is not getting better.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com